It’s hard enough suffering from trauma and complex trauma . Being criticised as a result is a double wound. We do not need to take on board other people’s ignorant or insensitive judgements.
Have you ever noticed there are socially acceptable & socially unacceptable responses to trauma? There are. The especially interesting part is the socially acceptable ones are the most unhealthy trauma responses & encouraged.
Some socially acceptable trauma responses are:
- being a workaholic.
- focusing on career over family.
- never taking breaks.
- being over scheduled or too busy.
- sleeping too little.
- excessive exercising.
- under eating.
Some socially unacceptable trauma responses are:
- taking time off to relax.
- crying or being angry about the trauma.
- admitting that it still upsets you, even years after the trauma.
- taking anti-depressant or anti-anxiety medication.
- seeing a counselor.
- severing ties with an abuser.
- discussing the abuse.
When you live with PTSD or C-PTSD, trying to heal is tough enough. It’s not easy, even under the best of circumstances. It’s much worse though when you have people telling you that your healthy coping skills aren’t healthy, & insisting you…
View original post 476 more words